From Financial Necessity to Medical Transcription

No one could have been happier than I was upon having children. Imagine your happiest moments in life and I believe the joy that I felt inside surpassed all that I could imagine. There was one issue, however, now starting to rear its ugly head. The need of money; more simply put, bills to be paid and food on the table, now for four people, not two. Granted, we did not wake up one day and realize this. It was a very gradual process, but one that could not be ignored. The need became more and more evident as we were the time to begin a formal education for our daughters. Having been a former elementary school teacher myself, I had a strong desire to homeschool them. (you will see many posts on homeschooling as I have been homeschooling for 15 years as technically I believe the educational process starts with the family at birth). I knew I had something to offer, having been a teacher myself. It all made so much sense as I had the experience that I could now use on my children; however, determination and experience did not pay for books, classroom equipment, etc.

Now with the need quite clear, my search had begun. I truly believe that God knew what he was doing when he gave us money. Money in itself is not evil, but the love of money can be and they ways that we use it can lead to trouble. With two children 17 months apart, we knew the need must be met quickly and in the process I started to become an expert on every work-at-home scam that was out there. Through that, I also was learning to be cautiously skeptical as well as the principle if it seems to good to be true, then it is. It was a unique process, expecting to stuff envelopes, or do beading where if one piece of thread was missing, suddenly there was reason that I would not be paid. The lessons were flying fast and furiously.

I then decided to try selling natural products and worked for a company advertised in a homeschooling magazine. The person who mentored me in selling was so very kind, and we became friends quickly, amazed at all we had in common. She frequently spoke of typing early in the morning before her kids got up. When asking her what she was doing, she proceeded to tell me about medical transcription. (knowing that I was not doing well selling products also). I had a really good feeling about this. I loved typing and had found medicine very interesting from childhood on up. I will explain medical transcription in another post, but know it is a consistent income and I have been transcribing for 9 years. It is not a scam, and I was able to receive on-the-job training and now had a friend to mentor me. As Christians, I believe that we are to give back in any way that God allows. If any of you are interested in finding ways to work at home, or actually interested in medical transcription, I have seen a lot and would be willing to be a resource. Comments are welcome. I would love to hear from you.

Sincerely,
Dee

No comments: